Ask Dr. Anna!
Everything you need to know about Vitamin C Serum.
Vitamin C Serum is the new rage in the beauty industry, as studies have shown great improvement in skin texture, firmness and overall appearance with continued use of the product.
For those who don’t know, Vitamin C Serum is an evidence based anti-aging product, it is great to use topically if you are not getting sufficient amounts in your diet, it is very hydrating, it may help with reducing inflammation and redness, it can help with wound healing, and it protects against free radicals and skin damage.
Let this little serum bring your skin back to its supple texture and take years off your appearance!
What makes Vitamin C Serum so beneficial for the skin?
- Vitamin C limits the damage induced by ultraviolet light exposure and protects against UV-induced damage caused by free radicals.
- The antioxidant properties of vitamin C and its role in collagen synthesis make vitamin C very important for overall skin health.
- One of the main Vitamin C derivatives used in Vitamin C serums is magnesium ascorbyl phosphate and has shown to be very hydrating for the skin.
- It can help to reduce redness and even out your skin tone.
- It helps to fade hyperpigmentation which includes sunspots, age spots and melasma. It can also help where acne scars have healed. The reason Vitamin C helps with sunspots, age spots and melasma is because it impedes melanin production which leads to a more even-toned complexion.
- It promotes collagen production.
- It shrinks pores
- It helps to boost wound healing by promoting keratinocyte differentiation which can re-establish the stratum corneum.
Is Vitamin C Serum suitable for all skin types?
- It’s less about whether or not it is good for all skin types but rather who is making the serum. The best and most stabilized form of Vitamin C Serum is formulated with ascorbic acid concentrations from 10%-20% with a low pH of less than 3.5.
- In rare cases people with hypersensitive skin may experience minor irritation.
Can I mix Vitamin C Serum with other serums?
- It is possible to mix the serum with others you have at home, however; at Dr. Anna’s office we believe less is more and recommend all our patients and followers to read “Beyond Soap” by Dr. Scotniki, as she explains how the overprocessing of our skin is leading to many more serious skin issues in the future including dermatitis.
- Dr. Anna recommends a clean and simple cleanser, moisturizer, and Vitamin C Serum as your only skincare, as well as applying sunscreen in the summer.
When is the best time to apply Vitamin C.
- Most dermatologists have recommended applying in the morning to prevent sun damage during the day, but it is not crucial.
- Dr. Anna puts the Dr. Anna Vitamin C serum on at night before bed. Our Celebrity Skin Expert Iva puts it on with Dr. Anna Anti-Aging Cream in the morning. Whatever is most comfortable and easiest for you.
How long will it take to show changes in my skin?
It often will take around 6-8 weeks to see improvement in the skin.
Why does my Vitamin C Serum turn brown/yellow and does that mean I have to throw it out?
- NO! It is definitely not necessary to throw it out when it turns brown/yellow.
- The way to keep your Vitamin C serum lasting as long as possible is to keep it refrigerated.
- If its turning yellow or brown it means that it has been oxidized. The way to reduce this is to limit heat, light and air to it.
Need a Vitamin C Serum you can trust?
Dr. Anna Vitamin C is the perfect product to put on right before bed and let the benefits transform your skin as you sleep. The combination of simple ingredients give your skin a collagen boost, as well as anti-aging, the reducing of sun spots, wrinkles, and dark circles. The antioxidant dense serum is excellent for sensitive skin, and is never tested on animals, vegan, organic, free of sulphates, parabens, dyes or any harmful chemicals.
Ask Dr. Anna
A new blog series where she provides information to empower women to make better choices.
Do you have a cosmetic, medical or general health question? Dr. Anna wants to hear from you!